CDL Test Administration Changes and FAQ's

Jeffrey Miller, the Chief Licensing Examiner at the NHDOS, recently shared that there are a few changes to types of vehicles allowed to be used for the skills and road portion of the Commercial License test process.

Can I use a vehicle with a Dealer plate?

Yes, as long as it is operated by a full time employee and in accordance with 261:111 Retail Vehicle Dealer's Use of Dealer Registration.

Can I use a Truck Tractor to complete the skills test for a Class B CDL?

Yes, but the truck tractor must have a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or greater. A cab and chassis will be allowed as well.

Are there any other restrictions on the vehicle that I use?

    • Test vehicles shall comply with all New Hampshire inspection laws and rules.
    • The vehicle shall provide the examiner with a permanently attached seat, which allows the examiner accessibility to vehicle control mechanisms.

Special thanks to Mary Beth Alosa of New England Kenworth and a NHADA Board Member for bringing forth these issues, and to DMV/State Police for the clarifications.

For questions on this article or these rules please email Dan Bennett.