Understanding Form 8300 and how to report cash payments over $10,000

Follow the correct procedure with the IRS when reporting cash payments over $10,000

Generally, if you're in a trade or business and receive more than $10,000 in cash in a single transaction or in related transactions, you must file Form 8300.

Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 in a Trade or Business, provides valuable information to the Internal Revenue Service and the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) in their efforts to combat money laundering. Money is "laundered" to conceal illegal activity, including the crimes that generate the money itself, such as drug trafficking, tax evasion and terrorist financing.

Form 8300 and Reporting Cash Payments of Over $10,000